Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Katoomba to Yerranderie

Ed and I set out at 8.30pm from the beginning of Glenraphael Road for the end of Narrowneck and down to Medlow Gap. On the way we passed through the flagging for TNF 100 and the impressive ladder work at Tarros.
The View from Mt Cookem

We crashed under the little information shelter about 11.30pm. It was bloody cold with a heavy dew. Fortunately I was warm in my -5 sleeping bag and ultra lite thermorest.
We got going about 8am after checking out the hut just down the road, and headed down the fire trail to Cox's River. It was a very pleasant walk.
At the Cox's Ed thought the crossing was shallow, so I stripped off starkers and walked in. It was about 1 degree C. Very quickly I was up to my armpits and freezing! As IU came out in my birthday suit Ed said "I didn't realise you were so fat!" Ha ha ha. He spent the rest of the weekend apologising, as if I cared.
We then found that 20 metres downstream the creek was only ankle deep.
Then it was up the hill to Mt Cookem. Once on the summit we were rewarded with the most fantastic views back to Katoomba and the Wild Dog Mountains.
Then it was on to Yerranderie 45km away along the Scotts Main Range road. This is a wide super smooth dirt road which is quite monotonous but passes through some beautiful country. After 15k we came to the Catholic Bushwalking lodge and we called in for lunch. It was deserted when we arrived but a group was clearly staying there but were out fly fishing from the looks of their gear laying about. Ed cooked me up a savoury rice and a cup of tea. After half an hour I was ready to get going and set off at a slow jog for the last 30k. Ed was feeling stuffed so he was going to stay the night and come along in the morning.
The view from Yerranderie Peak
I had come 15k when a 4wd came along the road and there's Ed in the passenger seat getting a lift! One of the fisherman came back and was driving up to pick up his mates and gave Ed a lift. So I hopped in and we got a lit another 4k up the road. Then it was another 11km trudge along the road in the dark to Yerranderie. Finally got in at 7.30pm and were welcomed by our family and friends at the lodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment