Saturday, November 05, 2016

Meroo National Park Sat 5th Nov 2016




I am in Ulladulla for work. I set out from my motel at 6pm to follow my nose through the Meroo National Park. Perfect cool sunny weather.
I headed to Woodstock road 5k away intending to turn around but instead I started heading up through the Park.
A large hazard reduction burn was taking place and quite a few RFS trucks passed along the road and many trees were gently burning on the steep slopes along the way.
An RFS chopper was dropping water right next to me at one stage. 
The forest was a bit smoky which gave it a mysterious dreamlike appearance  as the sun set.
I intended to cut across to the lake on a side road but a rather savage dog caused me to retreat and continue to the top of the hill. At this point I had come about 15k and I had a choice of continuing for another 20k through Milton or go down a dead end fire trail which terminates at the lake. So I would have to swim it.
No worries I thought but I would have to swim side stroke to keep the phone dry and above my head.
It was a very pleasant run along the fire trail and I got a good look at a male Lyre bird.
The lake was a pleasant swim of 250m and I had no worries with the phone.
All up 26k in a bit over 2 hours. Very enjoyable.
The first 15k was uphill all the way
The lake was a pleasant dusk swim
Smoke create a hazy dreamy twilight

No comments:

Post a Comment