Monday, July 30, 2012

M7 Marathon and Ben Hall's Huts

I ran the second half of the M7 relay in 88.50, five minutes off my best. An OK result considering that I was working night shift this week and the ongoing ankle issue. Mike  recorded a great time of 96.17 for the first half. A PB for him. In fact he took us by surprise as he appeared around the bend. The smart money was on him running 100+.
I saw Tim Austin through the week and he diagnosed a strain of the peroneal tendon in my right ankle.  His advice was very good and the ankle started feeling better quickly after doing his recommended stretches.
After the run I drove up to Katoomba and bush bashed my way down the Devil's Hole gully. I lost the track half way down and went cross country eventually coming across the pipeline track. Then I headed down to check out the huts from the Ben Hall TV series in 1975.  Remarkably one of them is still intact and "furnished" 37 years later.  I remember the show, I was 13 when it screened on the ABC. It had a great theme tune from the Bushwackers band.
Only one hut is still standing but the remains of all the others (seven in total) are still there but collapsed. A very interesting "walk down memory lane"
Afterwards I ran/hiked back up Nellies Glen and then along the Cliff walk  to the car at Devil's Hole.

Ben Hall's Hut from the 1975 TV series

Here is a link to a Women's Weekly article at the time of shooting. 

A shot from the article. The hut is on the right.
And here are two other photos of the hut taken during filming from Douglass Baglin Photography at the National Archives .



For a total nostalgia trip for my generation check out this youtube clip of stills set to the opening theme.
or the opening titles are here:

1 comment:

  1. What a slice of history the pictures created. Took me right back to my year 7 history class. An awesome boys own adventure in the wilds of Blue Mountains after a great run at the M7. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete