Sunday, April 05, 2009

Tallowa Weekend 28/29 March

On Tuesday I ran intervals solo at Pioneer Park and Wednesday it was a MLR of Lapa circuit. Thu 10 intervals at Laperouse with Heidi.
Then on Friday it was off for an emergency job at Tallowa Dam. This meant staying at the Golf club 19k from the dam. So next morning I got away at 5.40am in the absolute pitch dark. It was very still and quiet. The road is lined with tall forest and the only light came from the brilliance of the Milky Way.
I had no torch but I could just make out the white lines down the centre of the road. So I figured, what could be on the middle of the road, and just started running into the darkness. It was like some sort of boundless isolation booth. Gradually I settled into a quick pace, and soon the rhythm of my feet became all I was aware of until... something very very close by let out a tremendous GROWL. It felt like it came from just metres away.
Whoa, I have never stopped so suddenly in my life. Cluthching my penis to stop from wetting myself, I stood very, very still. What the hell was that! Not a dog, not a bull, ...I couldn't see anything just blackness. In my imagination I saw shapes all about me...was that a big roo standing in front of me? I thought about the old saying "a man alone is in bad company"
After several minutes of total stillness, I started to walk, then run. I never did find out what it was, but it was not happy!
The sky did not lighten till about 6.15, by which time I was up on the plateau and could see the peaks on the other side of the valley starting to appear. I let out a Coo-ee and was rewarded with a sensational echo from many kilometres away. This was turning into a great run. Then as the stars were beginning to fade a very bright meteor came down across the sky.
Eventually in full daylight I made it to the final steep 2.5k descent to the dam and ran down it flat out. At this point I noticed that my left foot was hurting. Arrived at the dam feeling pretty good overall at 7.03. Average pace 4.3min/km.

In the afternoon, I ran up Mt Scanzi which has the most wonderful views. My left foot had become very sore so I took it very slowly.

No run on Sunday as I decided to give the foot a rest, plus I had to go to work all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment