Saturday, April 04, 2009

Jenolan Weekend 21/22 March 2009

Ron's 60th birthday! Yvette organised a great weekend at the Jenolan cottages. Arrived about 10pm on Friday night. Up about 6.30 and went for a pleasant 10k run down Kanangra road. Very peaceful, many Lyrebirds leapt out of the bush and scurried across the road as I passed by. Ran up the Oakey camp road and checked it out for a bushwalk later in the day.
About midday we drove to the Oakey camp road and with a whole mob we walked down the ridge from Oakey Camp to Jenolan. Navigation wasn't a high priority and we came down the wrong ridge, but it turned out very well, because we ended up coming over the ridge on top of the Grand Arch. Something I have always wanted to do.
Afterwards I took the Pepsi Cola challenge and ran from Caves house back up the hill 6k to the cabins. Its a big hill and I was please to be able to run it without stopping, and sprint when I got to the plateau.
Later I played a very feisty game of touch with Rohan, Geoffery and Alana. This was followed by a magnificent BBQ where we celebrated Ron's birthday.
Enjoyed an extraordinary sunset from the cabins. The view looked straight back to Narrowneck and the Six Foot Track.
Next morning I ran through the pine plantation to the west of the cabins. There were many special moments on this run. Including the encounter with a tame wallaby and its joey, and then the eerie run through the pine plantation with its total silence, before emerging into a big clear felled area around a creek bed.
When we drove home we unfortunately hit a huge traffic jam from Katoomba to Lawson. One very funny thing happened on the weekend. After I got back from the walk to Oakey Camp, I realised the car key wasn't in my camel back. Uh Oh. So what followed was a series of phone calls to Honor in Sydney to try and arrange a spare key, or a hire car. That turned out to be very difficult. So on Sunday morning I went to have a look for it, not thinking that I had much hope....but I found it immediately, sitting on the drivers seat of the unlocked car! D'OH.

No comments:

Post a Comment