Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sydney Marathon 16/9/12

Volunteered as 3.15 pacer. Great conditions. Some problems with kilometer markers in the first 3 kms led to me to going a bit fast early.
Slowed down a bit going through the domain and with Stuart the other pacer we ran to 32k right on target pace of 4.37. Then I dropped back a couple of minutes to encourage those who were dropping off.
As usual the pack thinned out rapidly during the next 10k and by 40k none of the 3.15 hopefuls were left with us.
I had no trouble with the pace. I could feel the right ankle but all the massaging over the last few days had worked.
After finishing I ran back to find Mike who was having a tough run. I found him at 39k and we ran back together. He finished in 3.50.
Had a funny experience on the way to the marathon, I gave Amy and her friend Lara a lift to Redfern station to get to the half marathon start. As we were walking to the station Lara revealed "OMG I don't' have Amy's bib" So then it was a drive back to Maroubra, then Little Bay, then to North Sydney. We made the start of the half marathon with 6 minutes to spare.
Rushed back home after the marathon to fly out to Uncle Mikes funeral at Coffs at 2.40. Busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment