Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fluffers Mudgee Trip June 14/15

A bit tired this week after running from Mum's at Hunters Hill via Concord to the office on Monday evening.
Tuesday 2 * 5k to Gym and back with 1/2 hr spin class.
Wednesday no running.
Thursday 1 km sprints around Jellicoe Park.
Friday sprint from office to Airport to pick up a hire car. Then late evening drive to Mudgee.
Saturday 7am Mike K. and I ran 10 k through Mudgee and up to the top of one of the hills with a transmitter on it. I left him with three k to go and sprinted home.

Then joined the other Fluffers for an enjoyable bus tour of the wineries. I did my best to have as little to drink as possible. Interesting tour, I learned a lot about wine, which isn't surprising as I knew nothing to start with.

Enjoyed a great lunch at Oatley winery and then a dinner at the Old Mudgee Railway Station. Once again I stayed off the grog and resisted having the very delicious looking deserts.
I dragged myself out at 6.00am on Sunday. The thermometer was 1 deg and Apparent Temp was -3. Set off solo at 6.20am for 6 *5.4k laps of the town which included the steady climb up to the water reservoir. The cold was an issue and my hands and forearms became completely numb and paralysed. When I tried to unscrew the cap on my water bottle my hands were just a couple of claws.

There was a surprising number of runners and walkers out in the darkness and they were rugged up like Eskimos. I must have looked a sight in my shorts and T-shirt.

Still I was enjoying running, so much so I took a few longer diversions to see the sights. On lap two I ran for a few hundred metres with a mob of kangaroos bounding alongside me near the water reservoir

The sun rose weakly at 7am but it wasn't till after 8am that it started generating any heat, and my hands began aching as the feeling returned. I started the final lap at 8.36am and was on a bit of a high, with the sun giving me a lift. Picked up the pace to finish the last lap in 4 min k's just before 9am.

Then I feasted on great scrambled eggs with the other Fluffers at the Old Butchers Cafe before saying goodbye and heading back to Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment