Sunday, April 15, 2012

Knocked the bastard Off. Canberra Marathon 2012 2h56m36s

Up at 5.30 and had corn flakes and a banana. Then massaged my calf with voltaren Very nervous.
Last night I got my gear ready. I pinned three gels inside the pants and put 20 glucose tablets in one pocket and 20 party mix lollies in the other.
Had a brief chat to EJ and PT on the start line. PT summed it up when he said the only excuse I would have for not breaking 3 hours was LOA. "Lack of ability".
So off we went. Perfect weather, no wind and clear skies. Temp about 8 deg.
First km in 4.09. Lots of other runners because the half marathon started at the same time. I planned to run 4.12m/k or 21min/5k.
As usual I felt the strain in the first 5k as I warmed up. Once we got around Parliament House I started feeling better and found a good rhythm.
I reached 10k  in 41.30. All the nerves had gone and I started feeling a bit confident. My legs felt strong. The k's were coming easily and my breathing was calm. I made a point of always having a lolly in my mouth and forced down the first gel at 10k.
I got mouthful of water at most of the drink stops but I never felt thirsty.
Got to 15k in 62.23 just before the half marathoners turned off. Suddenly I was by myself. Down to the bottom of the hill to the turn around point where I saw the three hour pace group about 2 mins behind. So far so good. Back up to the top of the hill to the half marathon point in 88.05. Right on target which was a confidence booster.
I had been following a fit looking guy in a blue shirt from 10k to 21k. The gap had remained constant  but suddenly he started getting closer, and then I was alongside him, we exchanged a few pleasantries and then he fell behind. Cool.
When I crossed the Commonwealth Ave bridge we merged with the back of the pack half-marathon runners. I was  calling out to them, "coming through on the right" but what can you do when an exhausted back runner staggers across in front of you with their Ipod on full blast. You run into them. I bumped into about three people. Their ipods were so loud that I could hear them from a metre away. One guy came to a dead stop  in front of me and I slammed into him. He was OK and fortunately he didn't slow me down much.
At the turn around at Telopea, we parted from the Half-marathoners again and the road was empty. In 2009 I remember this is where I fell off the pace. Psychologically it's tough to run away from the finish, but today it was different, I was still holding myself back. The 4.12's were still coming easily.
I heard a faint "Go Al" as I passed the turn around. It was Michele, I raised my hand to acknowledge her but according to michele I had "my game face on", and didn't look back. Its true I was focussed in making every step count.
As I passed over the Kings Ave bridge for the second time I reeled in several runners.  Some of them I recognised but had  never beaten them before. Passing them was very motivating. Soon I was passing the 30k mark which came up at 2.05.08. That was 50s faster than the SMC 30k three weeks ago. More motivation. I had 55 minutes to run 12.2k. That's 4.5m/k. Surely I could do that...I was starting to believe that I might do it.
Soon I was at the far turnaround and climbing back up the hill. I was still pulling in runners but I hadn't been overtaken. Now there was less than 9k to go. "Just count them down" I said to myself, "Just concentrate on one k at a time".
I got to 35 k in 2h.26m. Seven and a bit k's to go in 34 mins. Now I was a believer I was definitely going to do it!
I crossed the Commonwealth Ave bridge for the last time and ignored the drink station on the bend.
As I came in front of Parliament House a lady runner who had been looking good suddenly stopped at the 39k mark, I called to her to pick it up and keep running. She ran with me for 50 metres but then she stopped. I powered on.
I got to 41k in 2.51.37. Now the moment I had imagined so many times was at hand. The long straight by the school seemed to go on forever. Then finally I was at the turn into the home straight. Woo Hoo. I ran the last 1.2k in 4.59.00.
I heard Honor's voice call out "Run Forest" from the crowd, so as I crossed the line I gave the Hunger Games salute to tease her back. Needless to say I had a huge smile on my face, and then it was over. I had finally run under 3 hours. Time on my watch was 2.56.36.
Honor, Michele and Serena were at the finish and I shed a few tears as I thanked them for the tremendous support they have given me over the last 7 years of marathon running.
Afterwards I had shower at the motel room and we went to the glass works and markets. My legs were little sore, but overall I felt great and just kept on grinning.

1 comment:

  1. Wow so pleased to read your race report this morning. I must admit to getting a bit teary when I heard your race time. It is a special feeling when your personal goal is finally ticked off. We were with you in spirit during the race, especially heading out for the second lap on the freeway.. into no mans land.

    It is great you could share your achievement with your family after a very trying year.

    LOA ....Ha.. That would have been a motivation boost.

    ReplyDelete