Saturday, October 14, 2006

Running without pain

I ran to Lapa and back last night and Maroubra and back via Broom street this morning and I suffered no knee pain. So it looks like the two month rest has worked and I will be able to declare today the beginning of preparation for the Boston Marathon in six months (April 16th).
This week I purchased some Adidas Adistar runners because they promised to have a very gentle heel strike. They certainly are very gentle and hopefully this will give my knee maximum protection.

I was forced to take a two month break after my left knee became very painful. The exact cause I am not sure of, it followed an uneventful three hour run but the next day I could hardly walk on it, and it remained painful for the next six weeks. Andrew the physio diagnosed strained ligaments but I think it was more than that. Whatever the problem the only treatment was rest.

Fingers crossed I can now continue with training for Boston. This week Alison gave me a training plan sent out by the famous "Gilly" who trained Greg for his Canadian record run. I will publish it here later. I am not sure if I will follow that plan exactly but it has a lot of sage advice worth listening too, for example he suggest alternating your running shoes to prevent injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment