Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Time is Passing


Sunday 22/10/06
This was the day of the Maroubra Fun Run but I had to give it a miss to travel to Grafton for the funeral of my dear old Uncle Bob.
Monday 23/10/06
Stayed at Lawrence with my wonderful Aunty Vois and Uncle Brien on their property 6k out of town. I ran down to their old farmhouse on the Clarence River where I used to stay when I was a kid. It was about a 14k round trip through the Lawrence village and some beautiful countryside. Numerous wallabies stood along the fence lines as I made my way at about 4.5km/min along the country lanes. It was a beautiful morning, all the trees and shrubs were in flower, the sun was not too hot and mist was rising off the Clarence.
As I passed down the road I saw one very appropriate sign. I am not a religious person but it does make you think. God may or may not exist but you can be sure, from the moment you are born, the End is coming
I was here to attend the funeral of my Uncle Bob who had lived a tough life. He died at 75 and his brother Geoffrey, my father, died at 74, both of bowel cancer. As I plodded along, the sights and smells brought back vivid memories of my childhood, and the things these men meant to me. I am now 44. So I guess should only budget on another 30 years. What can I achieve in these final 30 years, whats the most important?
This was a question that repeated itself over and over as I attended the simple but moving ceremony at the Uniting Church in Grafton, then the burial service, and two family get- togethers to celebrate Bob’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment