Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Summer Chill

Sunday 21st January 2007
I swam in the Warriewood to Mona Vale swim on Sunday morning and the water was bloody cold. Estimates vary between 16 and 14 deg. It wasn't an easy swim with the wind and current against us and quite choppy. I felt well enough the whole way but I was glad to feel the sand under my feet at Mona Vale. The surprise came when I went to stand up, then fell down. Apparently I was a little colder than I thought. I am a little foggy on what happened next but I know that my friends and the lifesavers showed a lot of concern. I am told that when I spoke only gibberish came out. After about 10 minutes or so I was able to walk to a car and get a lift back to Mike's place for a BBQ. Everyone remarked on my grey skin and blue lips. I needed a jumper on despite it being about 35 degrees. I must have been suffering from hypothermia quite badly but I must say, its quite pleasant. I never shivered or even really felt cold while in the water after the initial shock. It was only when I exited the water that I was suddenly aware that something wasn't quite right. I kept that jumper on all day and it was only a few hours after the event that I really felt "normal" again.
Thanks to Kath, Mike, Paul, Russel for the help.

That night I went for an 8k easy run about 8pm. Beautiful sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment