Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Dead men can still run

Monday 6/3/07
Another big one at work on Monday and finally got out for a 12km run around Malabar circuit at 6pm. It rained lightly with fresh southerly winds which was a relief from the muscle sapping humidity of the last few days.

Along the way I came across a fellow plodder called Gordon who had run the six foot track before. We teamed up and ran the last 6k's together. We perked each other up and the deadness that I had been feeling left me. Gordon is a determined bugger and even joined me for two hill sprints up Howe St. Did my situps when I got home. Went to bed at 9pm.

Tuesday 7/3/07
Lay in bed at 5.50am thinking of the many reasonable excuses I had for not attending the SWEAT session at 6.15, work, kids, muscle strains, need for sleep, the fact that I am 44 and am kidding myself that I can run any faster....all of which rang hollow. So having left it to the last minute I rushed out and drove off into the pitch dark and got there just in time for the warm up. Cindy caught me up as I ran over to the other runners, now she is definitely a morning person. Her enthusiasm is infectious and gave me an instant boost.

I was dreading the Big Bertha drill, 10 laps up and down, 430m a lap.

I have learned from better runners lately how to recover from big efforts, and keep running. You gotta believe, to believe that when you get to the top of a hill racked with pain that it will pass, don't slow down.

Anyway, ran the 10 laps and finished 20 secs faster than last time in 17.32. Remarkably Horrie who is my age and has been putting in big efforts also went 20 secs faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment